Senior Human Resources (HR) Generalist
The Senior HR Generalist has a lead HR role contributing to the development and administration of human resources policies and procedures to attract/retain qualified employees; to ensure compliance with all applicable laws and regulations; and to foster a balanced work environment that is both supportive and productive. The Senior HR Generalist will work closely with the VP, Human Resources and senior executives on strategic planning to address the needs and challenges (both current and long-term) that are specific to each of the corporation’s various departments.
Area of Talent: HR Strategist/Talent Manager/Diversity and Inclusion Advocate
Position Type: Full Time/Exempt
Location: NYC/Financial District
Reports to: Vice President, Human Resources
Serve as the HR lead and ensure legal and programmatic compliance regarding, the administration of:
- Talent acquisition, onboarding and orientation
- Personnel records
- Compensation and benefits
- Job descriptions for new hires
- Performance management process for new hires
- Learn, use and manage HDC’s Ceridian Dayforce Human Capital Management (HCM) platform capabilities to track all of the above
Serve as Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Counselor:
- Ensure that recruitment efforts continue to reach appropriately diverse pools of applicants
- Schedule (preparing agendas before and documenting minutes after) quarterly EEO meetings with the EEO Committee to address any issues and review staffing changes within the corporation during the prior quarter to evaluate impact
- Continue self-education to remain current in all EEO-related information; ensure adequate ongoing training for other EEO Committee members; and ensure EEO training for the entire HDC staff in accordance with local, state and federal rules and regulations
- Ensure compliance with HDC’s Affirmative Action Plan (AAP) and coordinate AAP update on an annual basis.
- Prepare for and participate in EEO related audits by external regulatory agents
Remain up-to-date regarding knowledge of all laws and new legislation impacting HR (including but not limited to EEO, FLSA & FMLA) and monitor/revise company policies accordingly:
- Carefully/regularly update the employee handbook and all other written materials
- Carefully/regularly review and update the various required public posters/fact sheets
- Ensure adequate information sharing, distribution & training as needed
Support the VP, HR by helping to prepare and participate in informative & well-prepared bi-weekly meetings with designated senior staff (and more frequently when requested or as necessary) to review HR matters including but not limited to recruitment, new hires, leaves, resignations/retirements, employee relations matters, and employee development.
Respond to requests from employees for assistance regarding all HR matters, conducting research when needed to address unique or unanticipated questions/issues as they arise.
Support the VP, HR to proactively and collaboratively work with all senior staff to discuss and plan for the staffing & training needs of their departments.
- Ensure accurate employee job descriptions & updated organizational charts
- Craft job postings & additional recruitment strategies tailored to new positions
- Assist in the review of applicants, participate in interviews and verify references
- Assist in departmental reorganizations as needed
- Guide staff evaluations & strategize training opportunities that will both assist employees in their own development and maximize contributions to their departments
Serve as an HDC point of contact for hiring, employment & training matters with other government entities including The Conflicts of Interest Board (COIB), The Department of Investigation (DOI), The Department of Citywide Administrative Services (DCAS), and The Department of Housing Preservation & Development (HPD).
Complete other (sometimes unexpected) assignments with flexibility & creativity.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources or related field strongly preferred (comparable experience considered)
- 5 years + directly relevant, HR generalist experience managing HR-related functions for an organization
- 3+ years of managerial/supervisory experience.
- SHRM-CP/SCP; PHR/SPHR HR certifications preferred
- Strong & current knowledge of all HR-relevant laws & regulations (EEO, FLSA, FMLA, etc.)
- Excellent public speaking, business writing, and presentation skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Experience securing and protecting confidential information
- Experience in strategic planning & organizational restructurings preferred
- Strong computer skills, including experience with HRIS software (HDC uses the Ceridian Dayforce Human Capital Management (HCM) platform); Microsoft proficiency (especially Excel & Power-Point); and adaptability to databases & other electronic platforms to maintain, organize & present data
Interested applicants may email a cover letter with salary requirements and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to the Human Resources Department at (646) 304-4819.
HDC demonstrates a strong commitment to its employees by providing a salary that is competitive and commensurate with experience and excellent benefits including health benefits, retirement savings and career development programs.
HDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer